Monday, January 19, 2015

House Tour: Before Pictures




It was love at first sight for me with this house. Well, love at first picture slideshow, because we actually met online. Jordan had been scouring every house that was for sale in the Denver area and when he showed me this house's profile, I said, "This is the one!" 



Looking back, it was probably its German features that beckoned me so. The half-timbered walls, the scalloped edging, and the tiny dormer drew me like a moth to a flame. It reminded me of a Swiss Chalet that had landed wizard of oz style in Colorado, and attached itself to a modern 70s wing.  I recently announced to Jordan that I was going to call this house the Chalet. He gave me a look that said, "You can do whatever you want, but you won't catch me calling it that." 

A month later, we came to Colorado and met in person. It was so quirky, but so loveable. We saw lots of potential, and so we put an offer in a few days later...only to be rejected! So, we put in offers for a couple other houses, but I couldn't stop thinking about the Chalet. We weren't getting anywhere with the other houses, so we decided to put in one more offer. This time, it was accepted! Two months later, she was ours.





This tiny wood-paneled entry way makes you want to sit down and put on some ski boots!

Jordan was about to scoop me up and carry me across the threshold, when the door handle stayed in his hand after he shut the door. I guess we're never leaving.

This is the view when you first walk into the house. I'm standing on the staircase to capture the whole living room. 

Up close of the little passthrough into the kitchen. 

And the living room looking back toward the front door. 

I secretly want to turn this part of the living room under the window into the dining room because this next room makes a much more cozy living room. Jordan thinks it would be strange to walk into the dinning room from the front door, and he's probably right, but I'm sure you'll agree with me when you see this next room...




Isn't it cozy?? Our friend Andy thinks we should turn this room into the billiards room. Add some hunter green velvet furniture, and we'd be all set! Notice the creative brick work around the fireplace that I'm sure was supposed to be cutting edge and modern. (#fail)


The kitchen in all it's laminate glory.


The cabinets look better in pictures than they do in person. They have that old cabinet smell of dried out wood with food stained on it.

There is a disposer in the sink, but when you turn it on, the other drain erupts like old faithful and spews bits of leftover chicken and broccoli all over the counter.

The refrigerator takes up approximately 1/4 of the kitchen.


Laundry room with some pretty cool cabinets, that unfortunately also have the old cabinet smell.

The view from the laundry room into the kitchen and living room. The back door is on the left and on the right...

A bathroom. 

When we first saw the house this was the room of the man who called himself the caretaker. (Though I would think a caretaker would have flushed the toilet before showing the house.) The lovely curtains he left behind have the words, "The Undertaker" printed all over, so we've taken to calling it the Undertaker's room. 


Down the skinny hallway is a walk in closet and a tiny bathroom.

The bathroom has a red heat lamp in the ceiling and strange wood paneling. Only half the people who've toured our house have ventured down the hallway into the bathroom--it's that creepy.

Time to go upstairs!

I started calling this blue carpeted bedroom Cody's room, since he will be one of our first visitors. 

This is taken from Cody's balcony, looking toward the master balcony.

You go through this colorful room before entering the master bedroom

I don't even know what to say about this. (Yes, those are shutters.)


This is arguably the best room in the house.




The bathroom is through the door on the left.


And a little bonus room on the right.

Bright windows and funky flooring.

We love the chalet!


*Updates-Jordan fixed the stove!! Evidently the gas wasn't hooked up. The oven appeared to be fixed as well, but I pulled out some roasted veggies last night after an hour at 450 degrees and they were still crunchy.  After coming home to 59 degree temperatures in our house, from which we were rescued by my Aunt's space heater, the plumbers came and confirmed that it needs some more work. Thankfully Denver has graced us with a warm streak of weather while we wait for them to return. Also, we've settled on our first project: the creepy little bathroom is now gutted.

1 comment:

  1. THIS is so great! I love the Chalet and the fact that you've already demo-d the creepy bathroom! Can't wait to see the "after" pics!

    ReplyDelete