Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Our Newest Project

As much as I loved living in construction dust last winter, and coming home to find that my dishtowels had been turned into paint rags and my kitchen chairs into stepladders, things changed when we found out I was pregnant. 

We were two weeks away from finishing The Chalet and I immediately resigned from painting duty (which happened to be my main contribution to the flip). I also vacated the premises for a week while Jordan refinished the floors with toxic chemicals.

During moving week I took lots of naps while Jordan packed our house. It quickly became evident that a house flipping career isn't very compatible with pregnancy.

But house flipping is so much fun! The thrilling hunt for a new project, creative problem solving,  testing new design ideas, and the ultimate transformation were too compelling for us to let go. So we began to brainstorm how we could flip a house without living in it. 

Brothers who ice skate together buy houses together.
That's when we remembered we knew a savvy investor who was looking for real estate opportunities. And I happen to have known him for the past 26 years. I think it was over ESPN one Saturday morning that Jordan asked my brother, Cody, if he had any interest in buying a house together. Cody said yes.

And so they did.  

A sweet, little ranch house near University of Denver. We've been calling it Yale House, because that is the street it is on. But I'm open to more creative names if you have any inspiring suggestions. 

 
The house faces a busy street, so we're going to move the front door around the corner, which will give the feel that the house is really on the quiet side street. 

Since this is the world's tiniest dining room, we're going to knock out the wall separating it from the kitchen.

This kitchen will be ripped out, creating more dining space.

And behind that door will be the new kitchen...


...in the existing garage!

This also happens to be the location of the existing stairs...if you can call them that.

So somewhere we're going to have to build a real staircase. 



The two bedrooms and bathroom are in pretty good shape, minus 70s the carpet.

It's the future basement master suite that's going to take some work...



HGTV hasn't yet contacted us about starring in their new show Property Brothers-In-Law, so until that happens, you'll have to follow our progress on the blog.

As I write, Jordan is tearing out the old kitchen, so I should have some exciting updates for you soon! 

1 comment: