Sunday, March 1, 2015

My Favorite Poem


Across Earth

Isabel Fiske Conant

Once, I think, you looked down and saw what was before you,
And begged not to come at all, and then heard one say
--A bright one, your special one: "This is your journey."
Then his gesture swept the sight from memory away.

Sandals of forgetfulness, staff and scrip of hoping,
He gave into your hand, and, in a pale cloak,
He wrapped himself away from you, though you half knew him there,
Often....in blue dusk....in sunrise smoke.

A royal road from sea to sea, like a hero's highway,
You took it lonely town after town,
Forest and prairie. Now beyond the great divide,
Long past the desert, you are near the down.

Not like the eastern is the western ocean,
It's sky-line is lost in mist, but at its near shore
Wonderful its colors, like a daytime sunset....
When the san you tread is wet, you will see him once more.

Not as you thought, with tears, but with low laughter
Strangely light and care-free, you will understand 
How many times he paced you, and his step your own was timing,
How many times your cross-road was the gesture of his hand...


I have a weakness for old books, and this poem comes from a small, worn one called Many Wings, published in 1923. It came to me after ten years of admiring it from afar. Each time my family stayed in the Breckenridge condo I was delighted to find it was still there. This year, my Dad called the owner, and asked if I could take it home.  Now it sits atop a stack of well loved books in my office.

I can't vouch for all the theology wrapped up in these words, but I feel the truth about our glimpses of God on earth, in blue dusk...in sunrise smoke. I love the allegory of life as a journey from east to west, just like the sun's path. And so moving is the idea that death will not be sad, but will be a joyful understanding of what our life on earth was all about. 

I hope this poem brings you peace and encouragement. That would make me feel better, in case the current condo guests are wondering what happened to their favorite book of poems...




2 comments:

  1. I am so please to know this book of poems is now in the hands of the rightful owner, Kate Terrill Jones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem so much ❤️❤️❤️ And I love you, Kate! Thank you for your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete