Friday, July 10, 2015

A Practical Anniversary


Four years ago, on July 9th, Jordan and I were married. This year,  July 9th felt strangely similar to my wedding day. In a very different way.

*

7-9-2011

8 am: I woke up, ate breakfast, and left to get my hair done.
7-9-2015

8 am: I woke up, ate breakfast, and left to get gravel for our patio.

7-9-11

9 am: My girls came over to help me get ready.

7-9-15

9 am: My girls came over to help me get the yard ready. (One of the girls was very small.)

7-9-11

11 am: Jordan's men met us at the bluff to take pictures.
7-9-15

11 am: Jordan's men (Hernando and Jose from Home Depot) met us at the house to install new carpet in the upstairs bedrooms.
7-9-11

3:30 pm: The ceremony begins!
7-9-15

3:30 pm: The dirty work begins!
7-9-11

5 pm: The hard work of wedding planning is over--we're married!

7-9-15

5 pm: The hard work of weeding, raking, painting, and installing headers is over--for the day!

7-9-11

6 pm: We enjoyed a lovely dinner reception and danced the night away.
7-9-15

6 pm: We enjoyed a lovely dinner at our favorite Italian restaurant, but were too tired to go dancing. Instead, we picked up tiramisu and cherry pie from the grocery store, and ate it in bed while watching our wedding video.

*

Out of necessity, our anniversary this year was a low on romance and high on practicality. But real life is mostly weeding and real love is a cup of ice water offered after a morning spent raking in the hot sun.

There's no one I would have rather married on July 9, 2011. Jordan, you are the best husband. And on our four year anniversary, there's no one I would have rather shot a nail gun with while mariachi music floated down from the bedrooms and the smell of paint lingered in the air.



No comments:

Post a Comment